[Pd] Latency with 0.39-2

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat May 20 14:02:49 CEST 2006

You were right.  I'm glad I asked about this.
In 0.38, under ASIO, I only get one option for output and for input.
In 0.39, it offers me the whole list.  After I went down the list and
actually selected ASIO for both, I can get down to about 7 ms with
both input and output active and still run my sequencer.
Awesome.  I'm on 0.39 from now on.

Incidentally, at least on my system, ASIO only runs with 48 K or 96 K,
there is no 44.1.

Thanks for all the info!
-Chuckk

On 5/20/06, _ at whats-your.name <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> > and be sure to check the buffer settings. any hardware made in the last 5 years will work with 256 samples (and perhaps 128) with ASIO..
>
> if you cant get 256 sample latency with ASIO, i'd file a bug. and maybe in the bug suggest the native implementation of ASIO from devel_pd as an existing solution. (since debugging the PA<>ASIO implemenetation would take about as much time as merging it)
>
> the total latency should be a bit more, (256 samples for ASIO + 64 for pd's internal blocksize) / 44100 and maybe a ms or so for the DA. so around 8 ms. which shuld be acceptable unless youre a scientist.. in which case you can use the RT kernel, set the ALSA/jack buffer to 32 samples, and run pd-devel with the cb-scheduler..

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt