[PD] value object

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 21 09:22:56 CEST 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006, thewade wrote:

> Sorry, that is the bang gui object, the circle in the square. [value]
> object seems to be a lot like a [float] tied into a [send] or [recieve].
> If you merged [float], [send] and [recieve] you would have [value] is
> what I was trying to say.

Yes, now that I think of it, you are right.

> I didn't know that about [line]. Thanks for the info! I always thought
> [line] was just [line~] except at the control rate. I learn somethin'
> new every day.

What's "control rate"? the messagesystem doesn't have a "rate". Its rate
is whichever speed individual messages are fired at, which is very much
varying, as you can select any rate you want using [metro] or the second
argument of [line] or a setting in [gemwin] or whatever else that use "pd
clocks" to work. In addition to that, it's possible to remove messages
from a stream, duplicate them, etc.

This is what makes the messagesystem completely different from the DSP, in
which everything happens at fixed rate (one fixed rate per subpatch).