[PD] value object

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun May 21 11:35:20 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 20 May 2006, Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
> > > i wish it was an option that [value] could auto-produce its value when the
> > > shared value is changing, or that it'd output bang on a second outlet
> > > whenever the shared value changes.
> > for that you can use send/receive pairs ...
>
> now i'm not sure what's the value of [value] anymore...
> who uses it? why?

As I wrote somewhere else, [value] is like a remote "cold" inlet of
[float] and I've seen people to use the cold inlet of [float]
sometimes.

I don't use [value] very often, but it is used in the [singleton]
patch that is part of the "sssad" state saving system to keep track of
the number of instances of another patch, that is autocreated. Here
together with the creation of an object's instance with an internal
message, a [value] is incremented. As soon as the [value] isn't zero
anymore, no new object is created, so we only get a single instance of
that new object. (Yes, this doesn't catch deletion of objects, but
that's hard anyways because there's no [unloadbang]. But if you have a
better singleton with core objects, I'd be happy to replace the
sssad-singleton.)

Ciao