[PD] value object

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Sun May 21 20:01:52 CEST 2006

Quoting Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>:

> On Sat, 20 May 2006, thewade wrote:
>
>> I didn't know that about [line]. Thanks for the info! I always thought
>> [line] was just [line~] except at the control rate. I learn somethin'
>> new every day.
>
> What's "control rate"? the messagesystem doesn't have a "rate". Its rate
> is whichever speed individual messages are fired at, which is very much
> varying, as you can select any rate you want using [metro] or the second
> argument of [line] or a setting in [gemwin] or whatever else that use "pd
> clocks" to work. In addition to that, it's possible to remove messages
> from a stream, duplicate them, etc.
>
> This is what makes the messagesystem completely different from the DSP, in
> which everything happens at fixed rate (one fixed rate per subpatch).

I thought the non-tilde objects got computed at the
samplerate/blocksize rate. So for example if you used [line] instead of
[line~] as a signal rate envelope you get stair-steps in your signal
with each stair width being one block size.

[osc~]
| [line]
| / [*~]
|\
[dac~]

In Csound this is what the control rate was, and you could set this
rate using the ksmps value in your .sco file I think. I bet that if you
made the block size 1 sample then [line] and [line~] would behave
exactly the same, right? Again I am no expert.

My understanding is that the control rate objects have an upper bound
of samplerate/blocksize and has no apparent lower bound, but in
actuality are computed at samplerate/blocksize.

I could very easily be wrong.

-thewade