[Pd] OT- FFT and human auditory cortex

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu May 25 11:08:37 CEST 2006

Very interesting. You two Chuck(k)s certainly got me thinking
over some old stuff, but this left right thing is really
fascinating. For one thing it makes me think maybe there's
more to localisation than we know about right now.

> There has been a long standing debate over functional specialization
of the different hemispheres.

Can only comment from a cog sci perspective, but I remember a general
theme in Fodor and some other texts that we often see complementary
behaviour with one hemispherical faculty taking up the loose ends or
blindspots left by the other. In that regard all our senses are
"stereoscopic", or at least not as discrete per organ as we assume,
we like to get two points of view from which perception emerges.
(eg taste is linked to smell)

Since time and frequency acuity are mutually exclusive at the limit
wouldn't it make sense that the brain would evolve to have one side
process things using a complementary principle than the other?

>What's really going on is that subcortical structures in
>the auditory pathway differentially project to the right and left
>hemispheres.

Precisely.

> The cochlea is actually a dynamic organ, in and of itself

And can exhibit very localised and very fast adaptive behaviour almost
within itself as a protection mechanism. This is how it achieves such
an awesome dynamic range,  after lying in a soundproof isolation
tank for many hours subjects report hearing a hissing noise which we
assume is brownian motion of air molecules. On the other hand an impulse
at 130dBU can effectively shut down the auditory system and dilate the
tympanic membrane with the same kind of reflex to an eyelid closing.
I've always found this amazing. That our senses are capable of picking
up the smallest practically measurable "quanta" of information (eg
the eye retina can detect a single photon of light)

> tonotopically

What do you mean by that term please? In simple language.

> I'm searching my brain for a better term than timing
> encoding, but not sure

PPM (pulse position modulation/encoding)? Well, that's what I'd call
it with my electronic engineers hat on.

> As we proceed through the auditory pathway, the ability to
> encode timing decreases,

See below vis Shannon, timing is increasingly less relevant higher up
the tree.

> so that at the cortical level, timing
> encoding only pertains to the low <100-200 Hz frequencies.

The magic number at ten to twenty milliseconds has fascinated me
for ages. It comes up time and again, in Garbors work, in Warren,
Jones and Lee (all cognitive scientists - check McAdams and Bigand
compilation "Thinking in Sound"). Something very important is
happening here. It is the essence of granular synthesis and marks
the important point where discontinuity becomes continuity
(eg grains "fuse" at this point and we have to move to a wavelet
like model where position and frequency become combined) Can you
throw any hypothesis at this speaking as neurobiologist?
Do you think maybe one side of the brain is taking over from
the other?

>okay, it goes cochlea->auditory meatus (midbrain ~
>pons/mesencephalon)->lateral lemniscus (of pons)->superior olivary
>complex (of pons)->inferior colliculus->medial geniculate nucleus (of
>thalamus)->primary auditory cortex.

<Vader voice> Impressive :) I bet you didn't have to look that one up
either.

> Ultimately, there are several
> different ways that sound is encoding up to and including the primary
> auditory cortex.  It is "like" and FFT, but it is also "like" a
> wavelet transform, and it is also "like" a bank of hair-trigger
> resonators.

It's not defeatist to assume that maybe the brains internal encoding
is quite unlike, and doesn't map elegantly onto, our traditional
mathematics at all. Not even on the level of fuzzy ANNs. That would
make these mathematical "utilities" no less powerful, rather like wave
particle duality doesn't really weaken either of the models. In fact
it makes perfect sense, in the terms of Shannon a function of time
is being compressed in semantics, it is reduced to an ever smaller
set of more salient features. The crazy thing about this adaptive
system is that it's the brain itself which is deciding (in a dynamic
fashion) what these salient features are according to context.
I remember from somewhere that in 60ms a human or monkey can tell the
difference between a bolt of lightning, a twig snapping and a raindrop
on a leaf. All this information must be in the very small attack of
a signal. It happens long before the frontal brain can classify
and tag the sound with a word. While it's obvious from a survival
POV in evolutionary biology it also indicates that adaptive feedback
must be occurring at a very low level. In that sense the ear (cochlea/
transducer) can "focus" rather like the eye. I wish I could remember
the experiment, but I thought at the time it seemed a bit wooly,
involving lots of retrospective timing assumptions.
It would be interesting to know if any advances have been made with
invasive potential measurement since. My synthetic sound design work
has frequently confirmed this in practice, where very tiny changes
to the spectrum or shape of the attack portion from 10-100ms completely
changes the emotional response to a sound.