[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Pd compiled for imac

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sun May 28 01:07:48 CEST 2006

On 5/27/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> On May 28, 2006, at 12:22 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
> > Yep... I thought 'imac' meant 'intel-mac' but I guess it doesn't.
> >
> > Anyway, I think that if someone wants to publish an extern that works
> > on either mips or i86 macs, they would have to include both
> > "dylib"s...
> > unless there's a way to make a fat dylib with binaries for both
> > architectures.
>
> Apple provides two mechanisms for this, one is fat binaries, which
> have been supported since NeXTSTEP 3.2 (Mac OS X 10.4 == NeXTSTEP
> 6.4), and the other is Rosetta, which runs PPC code in emulation.
> NeXTSTEP/Apple uses gcc for everything, so building fat binaries is
> just a matter of figuring out the gcc options.

A fat binary only solves the executable problem.  The externals are just as
much a headache to deal with as the Pd app - maybe more.

The catch with Rosetta is that you cannot load a PPC lib into an Intel
application or vice versa.  This is going to become slightly tricky to make
sure people get the proper OSX externals that match their CPU type.

I don't think fat dylibs exist -it would be a useful thing to have though.