[PD] arduino-help.me.please.pd [gadlletas]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 30 10:26:11 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >To make Pd do this is message space, you could change the block size to
> >a very small amount.  I wonder if this would work...
>
> no, i am pretty sure it won't work.
> 1st because pd's synchronous scheduling is (at lesat: used to be when i
> last looked at it which is several versions ago) always at 64samples. if
> you have 32samples block~sizes, then you will just schedule 2 blocks
> each 64samples cycle. it is really the dacblocksize that defines the
> minimum reaction time. some months or years ago i posted a patch where
> you could set the dacblocksize at runtime.
> 2nd because the message system is basically asynchronous.

While changing the block size won't help with Pd's "64-sample limit"
on the message transport, one could use clock-delayed messages to fire
an event at an arbitrary time, even in the middle of a 64-samples
block. Many builtin time-related objects (like del, metro, pipe, qlist
etc, see "x_time.c") use clocks this way, but I guess (without
looking), that somewhere in [comport] this information is discarded.
Probably it shouldn't be discarded, if you want a timing resolution
better than 64 samples.

Ciao