[PD] multispeaker sculpture interface via pd

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:02:45 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I am assisting a professor right now with building a multi-speaker
programmable "grid" where sound events can be triggered at certain locations
on the grid and programmed in various configurations, controlled (hopefully)
from Pd.  The model right now involves two large metal frames where speakers
will be hung in different shapes and clusters.  We are looking to create a
sort of "organism" structure that will allow the piece to react to itself
based on parameters set up in Pd - microsound sort of self-sustaining
structures and sound models are of great interest to us.

We're in the phase right now of gathering information about what we will
need to build this - I'm assuming some kind of interface (sound card?) with
multiple outs for each "cluster" of speakers on the grid, but is there
another way we could do it and still make it fully programmable?  We have
experience with electronics as well, so we could conceivably build an
interface if anyone knows of available schematics or ideas.  Environment
will be Linux, preferably.

I would really like to avoid purchasing a USB sound device as I hear that
many of them don't do very well with Linux, but in the event that we do need
to do this, can anyone recommend a good one supported under Linux?

Also, are there other artists doing similar things?  Any info at all is MUCH
appreciated.  We are excited to be using Pd and other freedom software for
this.

Thanks,
 Kevin