[PD] Gem - CPU usage 98%

klaas de Baas kdebaas at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 16:14:04 CEST 2006

Thanks for your answers.

It is probably true that I could make a more efficient patch in which my usb
webcam functions as a motion detector. (I use pix_movement followed by
pix_blob to check for movement, and there might be a way of using just one
pix object instead. I just didn't figure that out yet. Suggestions?) ((Note
that I am not texturing the gemlist of the webcaminput into the gemwin. I
just want it to supply me with 1 or 0 each cycle))

However, my main problem of cpu overload lies with pix_movie / pix_film
(i.e. I experience the same when I just make a simple play movie patch). The
cpu-load commences when I create a Gem window of course. And that is why I
was puzzled, I thought that creating a texture on a rectangle in a gemwin
was handled by the graphics card, if powerful enough.

Any further ideas?

Thanks again Andrew and jjbarrows

Klaas

>From: "Andrew Cavers" <andrew.cavers at gmail.com>
>To: "klaas de Baas" <kdebaas at hotmail.com>
>CC: pd-list at iem.at
>Subject: Re: [PD] Gem - CPU usage 98%
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:05:00 +0100
>
>Klaas,
>
>I suspect that it will be the motion detection part of your patch that
>will be eating the CPU most. If the video input is only being used to
>detect motion and the live video is not being displayed then setting
>the camera to it's lowest resolution will be more than adequate and
>will drastically reduce the load on the CPU. Also decrease the number
>of frames per second being analysed for movement. The speed of the GPU
>will certainly not help you in this instance.
>
>My "mution" project used motion detection with PD/PDP/PiDiP from
>160x120 resolution webcam input at 15fps which gave very reliable
>results and produced a load of only 20-30% on a 600mhz machine
>(running Linux).
>
>Of course, the codec of the file you are playing will also hit the CPU
>(again, not the GPU) but I am not the best person to advise about
>that.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Andrew.

Hi,
the problem is probably the web cam input i have had a lot of CPU load with
USB
cameras
jjbarrow