Fwd: [PD] how to trigger bang's with a period less than 1 milisecond

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 14 14:55:46 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> [vline~] is special, as it allows to use messages with higher
> granularity then the dsp-tick, but it is special and most other
> objects are not.

Philosopher mode on:

I wonder, which other objects would also benefit from becoming
"special" in the way, vline~ is special. A possible model could be
t3-lib, but for example the t3_bang object already is there in the
form of the normal bang message, when its origin is a clock-derived
message (as sent by metro etc.). So we don't need a "special" bang
object. t3_bpe is the same as vline~ basically, t3_sig~ too, t3_metro,
t3_del and t3_timer are the same as metro, del and timer now.

Normal signal objects also don't need to become "special", if they
have signal inlets, as one could use a vline~ to feed them with
sub-sample exact signals.

One thing, where "specialness" would be useful is the non-signal
inlets of objects like phasor~ or osc~ which set the phase. It would
be great, if these either were signal inlets as well or if they would
accept messages formatted like vline~-messages (with delay numbers at
the end.) vline~-like-messages could be implemented without breaking
compatibility with old patches, I guess.

Ciao