[PD] anyone want OSC (or other externs) compiled for ppc-linux?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 29 23:15:08 CEST 2006

Hallo,
dafydd hughes hat gesagt: // dafydd hughes wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, Frank.  Does this howto apply for ppc also?

I think so, but I don't run ppc-linux. I just wanted to express that
in many cases it is not necessary anymore to patch the kernel for
superdooperlow latency anymore as what the stock kernel provides is
really very good now. I'm currently running 2.6.16 and I'm very happy
with it. IIRC Lee Revell recommended 2.6.15 in his talk on kernel
latency at the Linux Audio Conference [1], but I guess any recent
version (say >= 2.6.14) should be fine.

Of course it always depends on what exactly you want to do, but unless
you target latencies below 2 or 3 ms, a stock kernel will do just fine
and it will save you 1) a lot of headache over trying to follow a
moving target like the rt-patches and 2) a lot of time, which is
better invested in patching.

[1] http://lac.zkm.de/2006/proceedings.shtml#lee_revell

Ciao