[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

\js js0000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 21:17:08 CEST 2006

hi

On 7/17/06, Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in going to grad school for computer music,
> and I want a little more of a challenge.

i think the best reason to go to music grad school is to teach at a
university. if you want to be a computer musician and are not
particularly interested in teaching, you're going to need to figure
that out how to make a living yourself. and the debt you'd take on in
grad school is probably going to put you behind instead of ahead.

there's the 'day job' route. for instance, you could also learn to be
a programmer, but that will take up a lot of the energy you'd probably
rather put into music. but the programming should also fertilize your
computer music.

also, don't underestimate your ability to teach yourself stuff.
computer music is all new, and if you get very far with it, you will
need to have the skills to teach yourself stuff that you're interested
in. this is pretty important for all creative people in most
disciplines.

and as an artist, you need to find your own way anyway. so the sooner
you get started on that [difficult] road, the better.

good luck!

--
\js  [ http://or8.net/~johns/ ]