[PD] wmv playback in puredata / gem

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Jul 26 16:18:19 CEST 2006

AFAIK, GEM and PDP both use Quicktime to play videos. So you'd need WMV
support in quicktime, at least on OSX and Linux.

In the case of OSX, you could check to see if it's using your installed
version of Quicktime or something else. There are commercial solutions
to play WMV in Quicktime such as flip4mac. Maybe Jamie or one of the
other OSX GEM devs can tell you more.

In the case of Linux, it depends on how you compile libquicktime. If
you're running an x86/intel machine, you could investigate getting the
windows codecs installed.

In the case of Windows, I have no idea. [pix_film] should decode AVIs
and maybe MOVs.

I guess transcoding the offending videos into something usable isn't an
option? The recommended codec fro GEM and PDP both is a  Quicktime MOV
with PhotoJPG compression.

good luck,
d.

--