[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 26 21:46:04 CEST 2006

Martin Peach wrote:
>> caveats:
>>  - no way to open another patch (no Ctrl-o)
>>  - when the last window is closed, pd keeps on running (kill it with
>> Ctrl-C on the shell)
>>
> Maybe send a
> [;
> pd quit(
> message from a patch?

now i only wander how you do that if the last patch is closed and you
cannot create/open a new one...

>> most changes are really in u_main.tk (aka pd.tk); the only changes in
>> the 2 .c-files are there for parsing the new flag and enabling
>> kiosk-mode.
>> people who want to try it out without having to recompile pd, can edit
>> line 35 of u_main.tk, to set "pd_kiosk" to 1. (and copy the new
>> u_main.tk to bin/pd.tk)
>
> I haven't tried it yet, just looking at the patch to see how it works. I
> notice you use wm withdraw on the root window.
>
> "+#jmz: set kiosk mode (no pd-main window)
> +proc pdtk_kiosk {kiosk} {
> +    global pd_kiosk
> +    set pd_kiosk 0
> +    if {$kiosk == 1} {
> +            set pd_kiosk 1
> +            wm withdraw .
> +    }
> +}
> +#/jmz
> "
>
> But in this page at tcl.tk:
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/3175

i am no tcl/tk programmer so i might have done some harm...

> there is a warning not to do that:
> "
>
> I wouldn't advise you to use "wm withdraw ." on the "." window.
> Under some window managers (especially under unix...) this will prevent
> dialogs that have as parent the "." (like error messages) from showing
> up and block your app. Better to use something like:
>
> wm geometry . 1x1+0+0
> wm overrideredirect . 1
> wm transient .
>
> You can even send it out of the visible part of the screen, like
>
> wm geometry . 1x1+3000+3000
>
> But in any case, do not withdraw it :-)
>

> "

hmm, currently i cannot think of any "error mesage dialog" that could
pop-up in the kiosk mode...probably the [opendialog] might be a problem.

it might be a good idea to add your remark to the patch-tracker in case
somebody wants to apply it, they are warned.

> Otherwise it looks like a great idea, will it do fullscreen as well?

i haven't thought so. i would use the window manager to do "kind of"
fullscreen (e.g. use evilwm or no wm at all) if i needed this.

mfg.gsf.d
IOhannes