[PD] PD list for beginners

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 8 10:54:06 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> On 8/7/06, Tas Pas <tprotopgr at yahoo.gr> wrote:
>
> >Keeping track of what is said in the current list (even if I don't
> >understand a s~~t) helped me (and is helping me, cause I'm a begginer) see
> >what pd has to offer.
>
> I do that too.  I used to ignore subjects on here that I didn't
> understand, but lately I started opening those mails just to see, even
> if it's about something I don't use, and it gradually expands my
> concept of Pd.
> Besides, experts love answering newbie questions in general.  It makes
> you feel... altruistic.

Ah, so that's the reason! ;)

During the Pd Summer School in London some people had a little pub
talk about if it would be a good idea to split off a more newbie
oriented list. In my opinion it's not such a good idea, though, for
several reasons. One is: How to seperate newbie problems from expert
problems? Some issues have very deep reasons, for example the message
system of Pd (float-, symbol-, meta-messages etc.) generally gives
newbies the same headaches as it gives more advanced users.

Then if we had a pure newbie list, would the experts actually read it,
too? And if they do, they may be inclined to spread their expert
knowledge there as well so that the list may not be too different from
pd-list in the end. If they don't, then newbies would never learn from
the experts, which is important as well.

A kind of thing in between may be the Pd forum~ at:
http://puredata.hurleur.com/

Several of the subscribers to this list don't participate a lot on
this forum because they don't like web-based forums, while others do
regular posts there as well. But if you want to escape Matju, Hans and
me, this would be the place to go. ;)

Ciao