[PD] how to open max patches via cyclone??

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 29 17:25:31 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:

> I am sure this has come up before, but I have max patches that I cannot get
> to open under pd-extended .38 for OS X.  I haven't tried it on Linux yet.
> None of them will open.  I read that cyclone should be able to read both
> binaries and text files... can someone walk me through this, or is there a
> wiki or how-to somewhere?  I searched the list and couldn't find anything.
>
> When I try to open one, renamed to pat, Pd does... nothing.  The open dialog
> closes and nothing happens.  Help appreciated!  And cheers to Frank for his
> work on RTC-lib!  I have the cyclone library enabled along with zexy and a
> couple others.

You really need Cyclone as a *library* for this to work, that is
cyclone.pd_linux, cyclone.pd_darwin or cyclone.dll. I don't know, if
pd-extended ships it. After that the process is easy:

* load cyclone as a library: "pd -lib cyclone"
* create an object: [cyclone]
* click on it and use the file selector to open a Max patch.

You can use the "cyclone-importer.pd" from RTC-lib as well which is
just an almost empty patch with the [cyclone] object already created.

Also useful might be the "commvert.py" script which I wrote to convert
Max/Cyclone-comments to standard comments.

Ciao