[PD] more Fibonacci

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 20:25:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

Just to bring a different persepective here:

More interesting to me than alternate tunings, are simply the types of
unpredictable variances when gets when real instruments go "out of tune". To
me, music that is accidentally "out of tune" sounds quite rich and
interesting.

I used PD recently to generate long tones in eight instruments on a very
simple set of four pitch classes, in any one of three octaves. However, a
simple Markov chain allows the pitch to drift either up or down by some
randomly chosen amount (something between 0 and a quarter tone I believe).
The sound turned out to be far richer than I imagined. The best thing is,
that the same algorithm can also generate the events for my score of real
instruments, though I think I must draw the score by hand to get the right
look. So I will probably have PD generate text files. I might even generate
images for the score with GEM, but I don't know how to make curves that have
the randomness of the ones I draw, so in this case I'd probably trace the
images and humanize the look of the lines.

John Cage "Ryanji" pieces were something of an inspiration for this - where
he draws pitch curves using the edges of rocks.

~David