[PD] dealing with large sound files

Nicholas Ward nicholas.ward at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Sep 15 14:15:20 CEST 2006

Hi,
Im not sure whether PD is actually the write software for this but
anyhow maybe you might have some suggestions,

I have 16 audio files that are 28 minutes long each. I need to keep
them looping and in sync to a counter that is looping through the
frames of a movie in GEM. I can use separate machines for the GEM and
audio but they must stay in sync. I also dont reckon I'll be able to
load 16 28min sound files into tables due to RAM constraints.
Does anyone have any suggestions. Is there a way to play the soundfiles
from disk and drive the frame counter in sync.

IF you had any suggestions of ways to do this outside of PD that would
be fine too but I'd still need some way to talk to my GEM patch.

Thanks
Nick