[PD] MP3 Layer II

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 19 17:23:04 CEST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Romain Vuillet wrote:

> Actually, i think the layer is relative to the ratio :
> ...something like that
> -Layer I : 384 kbit/s
> -Layer II : 160..256 kbit/s
> -Layer III : 112..128 kbit/s

Not at all. You should read the following paragraph in the article. Those
are suggested bitrates. Those bitrates are suggested because using just
Layer I is less efficient than using Layer II (which uses Layer I plus its
own techniques) which is less efficient than using layer III (which uses
Layer II plus its own techniques). When using more techniques you can use
lower bitrates to achieve the same fidelity.