[PD] Pduino output mode and I/O numbering differences

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Thu Sep 21 20:00:52 CEST 2006

Hallo David !

> What I'm confused about is that usually in microcontroller programming,
> there is a symmetry between setting the data direction of a pin (i.e.
> input or output), and setting/clearing a bit on that pin. For instance,
> in AVR C, if I want to assert a HIGH voltage on pin D0, I would write:
>
> DDRD = 0x01;    // set data direction for pin 0, port D to output
> PORTD |= 0x01; // set value of pin 0, port D to HIGH

okay... (I think I still didn't really get what you want to say ...)
For the arduino there is a function to define input/output of a pin and
then to write/read from that pin ...
So in PD this are "wrappers" for these funcions - you have to set
input/output mode firt one time, then you can simply use digital in- or
output ...

> different - but since arduino/pduino is supposed to be good for physical
> computing students who know little about the nitty-gritty details of
> hardware/software integration, it should be as straightforward as possible.
it should be as straightforward as possible (I mean the help patch - the
test patch is a little bit confusing ...)

LG
Georg