[PD] comport port numbers :: bash trick

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 25 16:43:34 CEST 2006

Martin Peach wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> filesystem, they exist.  I think its the same with Linux udev systems.
>
> udev looks nice but I guess not every linux has it.

this is correct, but it is _the_ standard way of doing it
since..hmm...kernel-2.6.8 i think.
and prior to this there was devfs, which provided the same functionality
(kind of).

i would really suggest to _not_ probe each device whether it is actually
valid, but instead to rely on a properly set up /dev-tree (either
manually or via udev or similar).

blind probing is likely to hang your system.

getting the available devices (and making them accessible) is really a
task of the operating system and not of any application.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes