[PD] circular buffer [attn. obiwannabe)

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Sep 27 13:35:27 CEST 2006

Hi Andy, list,

On
http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/html/sound-design/sound-design-audio.html,
Andy wrote:

> Keeping a circular buffer from saturating while filling it with signal fragments is the essence of delay based resonant modelling, one way to manage the growth or decay of signals is careful "jailing" using clipping or compression units.

Would you be willing to share a patch demonstrating this? I find that
feedback-based structures are still difficult to do without saturation
in PD. This is especially true when filters are involved, since PD's
filters are quite easy to "blow up". I've tried using the Zexy limiters
and even a "normalizer" abstraction posted here some months ago but I'm
still looking for the right solution. A compressing or normalizing
method is far preferable to a clipping one, since I'm going for a more
organic and less digital sound with the stuff I'm building right now.
Any chance of posting the patch which made the "Resobass" sound?

thanks,
derek
--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl