[PD] What does number2 for?

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Wed Oct 11 03:22:06 CEST 2006

padawan12 wrote:
> If you never ask you never learn :)
> One thing that most beginners miss, and I think it should be
> written in bold red capitals somewhere, is that right clicking
> on almost any object will give you a small help menu from where
> you can access a manual page for that object.

Exactly, I think this is an awesome function.
It's simplicity provides a great tool, especially for objects
with well prepared tutorials.

I guess I just wanted to point out that from the viewpoint of
one who has not been following the history of PD, I do find it
kind to add exactly what IOhannes mentioned about number2.
(How in addition to the GUI, number2 was so advanced in the
days when ordinary number boxes could not send/receive messages)

and also prepare some additional help files for "graph" and
"array". RightClick->Help on either object currently opens the help
on [table].

I found "number2" and "graph" the only two elements that leave the
reader in the air after walking through the tutorials (and Miller's book
on synthesis) as far as default functions -right in the menu- go.

Arrays, I found well described in
/doc/2.control.examples/15 arrays.pd

Where can I learn on graphs ?

Again, please tell me if it is documented and it is just my search
functions lacking concentration. I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed
it along the way since it IS difficult to focus and study PD linearly,
every aspect of it is just so inspiring and temptating. :)

--
David Shimamoto