[PD] error: pix_video: could not initialise COM

Drew Browning drew at uic.edu
Fri Nov 3 20:54:38 CET 2006

List,

I'm trying to use PD/GEM on my Shuttle, AMD Athlon 64 machine with WinXP
and a ATI Radeon X800 graphics card. GEM seems to work fine except for
pix_video. When I load a pix_video patch, like 00.SimpleVideo.pd from the
examples, I get the following:

MAN::resetState entered
error: pix_video: could not initialise COM.
MAN::resetState entered

When I send the message "device 0" the pix_video object, I get the following:

error: pix_videoDS: COM has not been initialized.

Here's what I have done to try to solve the problem:
- I've tried different versions of PD/GEM but I still can't use pix_video.
I'm currently using Pd version 0.40-1 and GEM version 0.91-cvs.
- I've updated my graphics driver to the most recent version.
- I've tried both USB web cams and DV cam but both give the same error. The
cameras work in other applications.
- pix_video works fine on my Pentium machines. I thought it might be an AMD
problem but when wrote to the list about this a year ago others replied
they had no problem with their AMD Athlon 64 machines.
- Per another suggestion I ran services.msc and made sure COM, DCOM and WMI
services were started and they are.
- I've updated my DirectX to the latest version.

I'm hoping there might be someone who can help me find a solution.

Drew