[PD] Pd freezing on startup in ubuntu dapper

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Sat Nov 4 02:42:18 CET 2006

Pd is still completely freezing my ubuntu Dapper machine. I have tried
recompiling with Pd 0.40.2 and still absolute and instant freeze. So I
tried the suggestion below. The debugger reports:

Starting program /usr/local/bin/pd
[New Thread -1211066688 (LWP 6400)]

Then the machine is completely frozen again, so I have to pull the plug.

I also tried editing /etc/hosts as was suggested here:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-07/029853.html

and that didn't help either...

I have used this on many ubuntu Dapper machines so I don't know what's
so special about this one. Could it be the 2 dual-core Pentium Xeons?
Could it be the M-audio Delta 1010LT card?

When I run

$ pd -verbose

I get no response at all. Just the instantly frozen machine.

And I have tried the various flags (-nrt -nomidi -nosound) and others...

-John