[Pd] Serial port out

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 7 00:42:25 CET 2006

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> I'm going forward with this Moog-controlling plan.
> I have Pd on my laptop, and have compiled [comport].  I'm not sure how
> to use it, though.  As with so many things, most of the info I can
> find online tells me way more than what I want.
>
> What I want:
> Is it possible to send constant values OR individual bits to the
> serial port, as opposed to bytes separated by on/off bits?  How can I
> set up the timing on this to send controllable PWM?
> Will it be possible to send PWM from comport with -noaudio?
You can toggle the handshaking lines at high speed but you will run into
the jitter caused by pd's audio block size. Or you could send data
through the serial port with different ratios of on and off bits, but
you will only get 8 different levels. I think you need to put a serial
dac there. It's possible to clock serial data into a dac using just the
handshaking lines -- one serves as a clock and the other data.

Martin