[PD] japanese text strangeness

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 8 09:18:53 CET 2006

timon wrote:

> buch of very wrongly placed latin symbols and accents. Im feeding them
> straight from a symbol object so I can see its the right characters. Is
> there a limitation to the [textextruded] object? Or could this be the font?

i guess it is a limitation of the underlying font-renderer (ftgl) and/or
the way Gem passes characters to it.

> Anyone know a fix here?

the simplest _workaround_ is, to create a custom font where all the
characters you want to display are mapped into the range 0..255
this obviously won't work, if you have alphabets with a large number of
glyphs (like japanese if you want to display every possible character)

if anyone has a real fix, i'll be happy to incorporate it into the
sources...

mfgadsr
IOhannes