[PD] Bidirectional PD <--> Processing via Netserver ?

mark edward grimm meg156 at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 9 22:20:53 CET 2006

collective knowledge,

i have just been looking into ways to make a
connection between PD & Processing.  I have
"netserver" running on a linux-server.  I wanted to
use that server as a sort of "hub" for clients to
connect to with either processing OR pd to send and
receive data to each other.

the list seems a little scattered on this (as far as
my searches go) and i want to get some suggestions /
ideas before i proceed with a time-consuming process.

I saw this message from Edward George:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-04/011403.html

...and another message by Hans-Christoph Steiner that
i cant seem to locate right now - something about
connection java to netserver as i recall.

its seems that i could use "osc" to send messages back
and forth on the server-side but that seems a little
to excessive to me.

i was taking a look at "oscp5" here for this:
http://www.sojamo.de/iv/index.php?n=11

...but if a 'java' app can connect to 'netserver' for
bi-directional communications (thats the impression i
have been getting) than cant processing make a
connection to 'netserver' seeing that they are
similar/same language?

i dont really know to much about 'osc'.

maybe there is a resource im missing or someone has
already started a project like this...

basically:

pd/processing <--> 'netserver' <--> processing/pd

very similar to 'netpd' (actually im using the
netpd_server.pd patch right now... thanks guys!)
except add 'processing'...

hope im clear!

cheers
mark

  mark edward grimm | m.f.a | ed.m
  megrimm.net | socialmediagroup.org & .com
  meg156 at columbia.edu | 585.509.8703