[PD] windows compile - one last try

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 10 11:19:12 CET 2006

Damian Stewart a écrit :
> sven wrote:
>
>> @damian (2): what's wrong with the pd-win32 binaries available?
>
> 1) midi crashes, which I could figure out and fix for myself, if I
> could compile from source
> 2) my entire rig tends to triple its cpu usage for no apparent reason
> after a quasi-random length of time, which seems to be a vaguely
> repeatable error, which I would like to compile from source to figure out
> 3) line doesn't have a right outlet that it bangs on completion, which
> I could fix myself if compiling from source; yes I know I could just
> build an abstraction but that's not the point
> 4) tooltips on inlets, which i could and would add myself, if i could
> compile from source
> 5) just random crashes, which i could try to investigate/fix myself,
> if i could compile from source (i have a significant amount of
> commercial software development experience tracking down extremely
> obscure crashes in c/c++ code)
> 6) i want to write my own gui objects (to match or exceed those that
> come with max/msp) but i don't have a pd.lib and since i can't compile
> from source i can't make my own, so actually i can't write my own gui
> objects.
>
> basically, i want to use pd, and would be willing to put up with its
> idiosyncracies if i could compile it myself and make changes i felt
> were necessary where they were necessary. however, i can't compile it
> from source, and every time i try i get either shouted at, told that
> the windows version isn't really supported, or helped for a few steps
> and then given up on when it becomes clear that it's not a simple
> newbie problem i'm suffering, and is rather something fundamentally
> broken about the administration of the windows source.
>
> in the end i realise that i'd much rather be making music, and dealing
> with this kind of crap really isn't making music.

Hello, have you tried to run pd through a debugger for targeting errors?
(and also help yourself and pd communauty to fix).
Why do you want to fix all errors by yourself?
Some features you are requiring are available on a version called Desire
Data (inlet/outlet tooltips).
There are dozens of people that could help,
 but they couldn't anything without having a clue about occuring problems,
 that might also come from "bad patching" or "bad understanding" of some
objects.
And finally you have a very big bunch of choices for building your own GUI:
extract from nightly build README:
"
graph "hide name" flag controllable from dialog
"installation mode" - turn off Pd window, accelerators, menu bars,
scrollbars
"
You can run pd with -nogui and use a GUI made with TKinter, XUL, or
PHP-GTK, or ...
you can build nice GUI also with using MiXed/Toxy,
and pd data structure is a nice way for building many kinds of user
interfaces.

I've tried some stand alones made with the payware version, they are not
very efficient.

Many pd options and tips are not documented enough, but what about
giving some advices instead of (sorry) whining about it?
PatCo.

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com