[PD] windows compile - one last try

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Fri Nov 10 13:12:29 CET 2006

Patco wrote:

>> midi on windows is my main sticking point. if people care about the
>> the windows version, why is midi on windows /still/ 'dangerous'?
>> surely midi control is fundamental to serious performance-based usage
>> of a program like pd?
>>
> I don't, I have not experienced crashes caused by MIDI in pd, anyway, I
> am trying to not use MIDI under windows for reasons explained in last post,
> and pd has nothing to do with encountered problem with this obsolete
> protocol.

most consumer-level control surfaces (novation, are midi devices. to the
best of my knowledge there are very few control surfaces that use osc, for
the main reason that osc is several orders of magnitude more difficult to
implement on a microcontroller chip of the kind used to drive music control
devices. despite its limitations (7-bit fader/pot control, ugh) midi is far
from obsolete, unfortunately.

>> i mean building my own GUI objects, which working along with the pd
>> program itself.
> What's the efficiency problems with Toxy/[widget]? It works good on my
> machines (loads fast, doesn't lag...) and it's possible to make very
> nice things with, like a movie viewer, an explorer fork, only ix has
> done some work with it, but this work seems to be a good start, for
> making something pretty, fast and usefull.

toxy looks great in all the screenshots i've seen, but it crashes and/or
refuses to load on my machine. toxy not working was one of the reasons i
wanted to get compile from source working..

>> i was wanting to experiment with using directx rather than tcl/tk for
>> rendering graphics to get some real high-performance stuff going on,
> Really? Would you be interested about using DELPHI for this project?

i don't really know delphi as a language, but i don't see why i should need
to use delphi as i already can do c.

>> which is going to require building in c, which as i understand it
>> requires a pd.lib.
>>
> Well I am still a newbee and doesn't understand why pd.lib is required
> for building in C.

you need the .lib to link against, so that your external and pd can talk to
each other.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107