[PD] windows compile - one last try

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:29:12 CET 2006

On 11/10/06, Damian Stewart <damian at frey.co.nz> wrote:

> midi on windows is my main sticking point. if people care about the the
> windows version, why is midi on windows /still/ 'dangerous'? surely midi
> control is fundamental to serious performance-based usage of a program like pd?

Is MIDI "really" broken? Because despite those messages, I've never
had problems running MIDI with PD. Perhaps this message is not
current? For instance, I got great results feeding generative stuff
from PD into Ableton which I used to host some VST's. I left this
program running all day and night and it was still running great in
the morning*. (There are things that mysteriously crash PD all the
time though).

One reason NOT to use Max/MSP on the PC: it seems to run much better
on Mac than on PC last I saw. For example, on PC, in order to get a
video stream from a webcam into jitter, it requires a third party app
that converts the video to a quickstream format. And guess what, a
typical Logitech webcam off the shelf, just doesn't work with this
third party app. The same webcam worked great, and immediately, under
PD+gem for me on win32.

~David