[PD] windows compile - one last try

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 11 19:42:42 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, David Powers wrote:

> Unfortunately, MaxMSP does not run that well on Windows. I think I
> just recounted how PD+Gem runs a webcam on PC,

I'd rather have the name "PC" not being used as a synonymous for
"Windows", because some use "PC" computers with something else than
Windows.

Some people would also object to the use of "PC" to mean "IBM PC", but
some object to still using the name "IBM PC" on the grounds that on
average in the last decade there's been a lot more IBM in a Macintosh than
in a so-called "IBM PC". At least the "Macintoshes are personal computers
too!" issue is becoming moot, as Macintoshes become a lot closer to the
hardware commonly called PC.

> Many of us don't use PD because "it's free software" - I use it
> primarily because I don't know of any alternative besides running Max on
> a Macintosh, and Macs are prohibitively expensive.

The price difference isn't anywhere near what it used to be... (but it
won't make me switch away from PC hardware).

> If and when PD becomes "Linux and Mac only" it would be fine to tell
> windows users they are out of luck. But it seems out of line to say that
> users shouldn't run a cross-platform software on one of the platforms
> that it is supposed to run on.

It's a matter of who's saying it. Don't think of the pd community as one
big gestalt. If you want a unified and official opinion from above, choose
the marketing department of your favourite corporation.