[PD] Gem in -nogui mode?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 11 23:25:47 CET 2006

On Nov 11, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> 9-screen/9-projector/9-computer multimedia room, and I would like
>> the computers to run on a super-stripped down install of Debian,
>> and then run Pd like a standard UNIX daemon. So it would be useful
>> if it was possible to be able to launch Gem windows straight to
>> the framebuffer without X11 even.  Perhaps that's a pipe dream...
>
> You don't need to remove X11. You could remove everything else that
> is built on top of X11, including the window manager.
>
> Besides, I don't think that video card drivers can run without X11,
> and I don't think that X11 necessarily causes a slowdown compared
> to running without X11.

With the right drivers in the Linux kernel, you can use the
framebuffer without using X11 at all.  But as Chris pointed out, you
need X11 for OpenGL support...

How about something like PDP?  What if you just want to write video
directly to the screen?  I suppose that would also use OpenGL to
speed things up.

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste