[Pd] OT: this is the kind of interface I want

Arie van Schutterhoef arsche at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 12 18:42:51 CET 2006

 >The problem with video tracking is that there is no way to to track your
>finger,
-It lacks the physical contacts.

>instead it just tracks shadows.  What happens is if the video tracking
>looses >track of your finger for one instant, then it thinks you picked up
>your finger >and put it back on the table. That can definitely screw up
>your actions.  And >unfortunately which ever video tracking system thing I
>have seen, that exact >thing happens quite frequently.
-If you want to control things in concert, this is clearly something you
can do
 without.

>Then there are multitouch sensors, which probably more reliably track your
>>finger, but they are quite slow, so they work fine for moving sliders and
>>pressing buttons, but for drawing or musical control, they are quite
>limited.
-Lemur seems to be 'performable', because at least there is no free space the
 surface and your fingers.

>I think that using pressure sensors will probably be the better way,
-FSR's are still very usable.

over video tracking, but don't hold your breath either way.  Plus, more
>importantly, I haven't seen any killer apps for this yet, that's key.
Sure, >its nifty to wiggle images around and zoom and navigate, but that's
a really >simple app.
-I guess that's what 'modern video art realtime processing' is all about...

>I am just sick of the amount of hype these days.  All these "media labs"
>put so >much energy into hype,
-The 'medium is the message', no matter how crappy this al in one is.

>instead of making better things.
-Takes too much time and needs a longer attention-span than generally people
 are capable of. No typing, just connecting virtual wires to virual boxes.

AvS