[PD] [failsafe] to save you when Pd pegs the CPU

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 13 23:48:38 CET 2006

I was just playing with Alberto Zin's OuterSpace on my poor old 800
MHz laptop.  When I opened it the first time, it pegged my CPU and
locked me out.  I had to power cycle my machine.  This isn't the
first time something like this has happened to me, so now I did
something about it:

I wrote [failsafe].  When the CPU is pegged, it first tries turning
off the DSP (this could also easily turn off Gem rendering).  If that
fails, it will quit Pd, thus saving the poor machine the hard reset.

http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/externals/hcs/general/
failsafe.pd

http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/externals/hcs/general/
doc/failsafe-help.pd

Ultimately, I think that something like this should be built into Pd,
which makes me think that there should be a way to run Pd patches as
init scripts for Pd.  They would be hidden, unless you made them
viewable.  Maybe something like a patch embedded in the Pd window.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler