[PD] prefered way to install PD

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Tue Nov 14 19:02:20 CET 2006

On 14/11/2006, at 17.51, august wrote:

> I just downloaded the latest CVS of pd, but there isn't even an
> autogen.sh or configure script to run and get the build going.

Did you check /path/to/pure-data/pd/ for either INSTALL.txt or
README.txt?
In the INSTALL.txt it says:

--------------
Change to "src" subdirectory.

type "./configure", possibly adding flags as follows:

     To enable ALSA 0.9x (the latest one), add "--enable-alsa".
     To enable the older ALSA 0.5x, add "--enable-old-alsa".
     To enable Ritsch's RME 9652 driver, add --enable-rme".
     To put Pd in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin, add "--prefix=/
bin".

Type "make depend" and then "make"; or, if you prefer, as superuser
type "make install".

The README.txt points to the manual which is online at MSP's site:
http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/x3.htm#s1.2

LIke getting a pre build Pd? Check http://puredata.org/downloads/