[PD] prefered way to install PD

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 15 09:22:37 CET 2006

august wrote
>> which version of pd do you try to build?
>
> I just checked out a fresh cvs from sourceforge.

this is not sufficient information to guess the flavour of pd.
pd-vanilla is the MAIN trunk of the cvs on sourceforge.
pd-devel is branched away from this trunk (in a branch called
pd_devel_0_39 (or so))

>> "autogen.sh" was never part of vanilla pd.
>
> it used to be included in the cvs afair.

again, it was _never_ part of vanilla pd. it was part of pd-devel, which
is in the same cvs (see above).

i am not entirely sure, but it might be that in very former times,
before miller started to use the sourceforge CVS for vanilla pd, the
MAIN branch was actually a version of pd-devel (possibly including
autogen.sh)

>> furthermore, it does not seem to be a "standard way" to build a software
>> package to me ("standard" being one of: "make" or "./configure && make"
>> or "autoconf && ./configure && make" or "aclocal && autoconf &&
>> ./configure && make")
>
> I would go with just ./configure && make

this has been discussed at length (see the pd-dev archives).
"configure" is considered a "binary" (generated code), made from
configure.in (or configure.ac) by autoconf. each change of configure.in
results in a change of configure, therefore you would have to maintain 2
different views of the same information via cvs. each run of autoconf
will produce a new version of "configure" (with dates changing)...

> autoconf and automake have so many different versions at this point.

true, though i must confess that i never had problems with such a simple
configure.in like the one in pd (afaik, it doesn't use any specifics of
autoconf versions).

and after all, the "autobuild.sh" script, really just did this: call
"automake && autoconf", probably with versions attached to the
command-names, which usually broke my build system since i had not
installed the very same version of automake/autoconf as the original
author of autogen.sh, and so the commands could not be found; changing
the autogen.sh script to match my versions solved this (my version of
autoconf/automake could still produce a valid configure script).
so personally i think the autogen.sh caused more trouble than it fixed.

> ok,  many thanks ...  but, I just downloaded the
> pd-0.38-4-devel-2.tar.bz2 from sourceforge  (linked from puredata.info)
> and it still has the configure, make system.

i was referring to the CVS version of pd-devel. probably there is even
an autoconf build system for pd-devel in CVS, but i doubt whether it is
still maintained.

mfg.adr
IOhannes