[PD] prefered way to install PD

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 17 20:23:42 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> pd-devel is branched away from this trunk (in a branch called
> pd_devel_0_39 (or so))

just devel_0_39

> i was referring to the CVS version of pd-devel. probably there is even
> an autoconf build system for pd-devel in CVS, but i doubt whether it is
> still maintained.

There is not, but I wouldn't hate one. I don't know how long I'll keep
using scons: it seems like too much to learn for almost no benefit over
"make". However, I'll stick with scons until I have enough reasons to
switch back to "make".

Here's one reason to not use scons: it claims that I don't have Tcl 8.5;
then I open config.log, I see:

   gcc -c -o .sconf_temp/conftest_9.o .sconf_temp/conftest_9.c
   gcc -o .sconf_temp/conftest_9 .sconf_temp/conftest_9.o -ldl -ljack
     -lasound -lm -ltcl8.5

   /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltcl8.5

So, I paste the 2nd commandline straight in the terminal, and there, it
compiles without any error.

This means that gcc is ignoring the following environment variable:

   LIBRARY_PATH=/home/matju/lib

Which it will only ignore if it's just not there - so maybe scons is
removing it. In any case, scons doesn't have my permission to remove
LIBRARY_PATH from the environment.

And then, i've had conflicts (crashes?) between pd devel and my new
tcl.pd_linux if it's compiled with a different tcl, but at the moment I
can't reproduce the problem.

Besides, devel_0_39 doesn't need to be linked to tcl server-side; only
t_main.c and t_tkcmd.c are using libtcl, and t_*.c are the client side.
But somehow many versions of pd over the years link tcl and tk on the
server side. I remember that in OSX it was the reason why GridFlow's [#out
x11] couldn't work, because libtk embedded a customised libX11 that wasn't
fully compatible with the standard libX11. Well, it still can't work on
OSX because that linkage problem is still there.