[PD] DOS prompt

day 5 day5ive at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 20:51:18 CET 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, David Powers wrote:
>
>> I know the .bat way to start PD is deprecated, but on the other hand
>> I think it has some pretty big advantages over other methods. Until
>> we quit using the registry and get something nice like a .config file
>> or pd-pref.xml ...
>
> Let it be known that not everybody considers it to be deprecated.

Agreed. Why reinvent the wheel with a new file format when you can just
add any number of libraries to the .bat file?? Sounds pretty elegant to
me.

Also let it be known that it is not called a "DOS prompt" on versions
of Windows that run on an NTFS filesystem. DOS is an exclusive
technology to the FAT32 filesystem.

In Windows XP it is correctly referred to as the "Windows Command
Interpreter", since it is no longer able to unprotect memory for
realtime calls and essentially runs an emulation of what used to be
called the DOS prompt. That's why your favorite  DOS programs from long
ago no longer work in XP's Windows Command Interpreter.

If you *really* mean DOS, then check out http://www.freedos.org/

You win exactly 2 internets if you get Pd to run in a pure DOS
environment.

./d5