new HID WAS: [PD] Ergates game-like audiovisual instrument

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 25 18:01:32 CET 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 8:20 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Hey Frank,
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 04:05:29PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> I would recommend J. Sarlo's joystick-external. It works on all OSses
>> AFAIR.
>
> Since Hans pointed out it doesn't work under OSX, I think the next
> best
> option is for me to write an external that uses SDL calls to read from
> the joystick, since that library works on all platforms. Will report
> back here when that's done.

When I started [hid], I explored many options including SDL.  It
provides a very limited interface to the devices, but is relatively
easy to use.  I suppose an SDL object would be useful in specific
circumstances, like on obscure platforms.  Do you have a specific
problem with [hid] besides not working on Windows?

You could also join Olaf Matthes, David Merrill, and I on working on
the next generation of [hidin]/[hid]/[input_noticer] that will work
on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.  By lucky chance, David was in NYC
so we met yesterday about this.  And by another lucky chance, Olaf is
getting into NYC and we are going to be meeting about this soon.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson