[PD] [Gem] performance issues on ubuntu (no hardware accel?)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Nov 27 19:23:52 CET 2006

hi all

i am trying to use gem, since i changed to ubuntu. i used gem before
successfully on windows on the same computer. but since i started
compiling gem myself on ubuntu dapper, i am not convinced by its
performance and i strongly believe that i am doing something wrong, or
anything on my computer is not optimized etc.

specs:
Pentium M 1.7GHz
Ati Radeon Mobility 9600
Ubuntu Dapper
Xorg 7.0.0
xorg-driver-fglrx
gem from cvs (checked out today)
the output of './configure':
http://romanhaefeli.net/gem_configure.txt

why am i  thinking that gem is not working well on my computer?

the screensaver also does opengl stuff, that seems to be quite
complicated in my eyes and it does eat only a little of the cpu-power,
when running. also running the same gem-patches on windows seems to be
not only 2x-3x faster, but maybe 30-50 times. running fgl_glxgears gives
me values between 440 and 450 frames per second, which makes me assume,
that hardware accelerated opengl works on my computer. so i suspect gem
no to use any hardware acceleration at all and i wonder why. is there a
way to check, if gem uses hardware acceleration? if yes and if my gem is
_not_ using hardware acceleration, what do i need to do in order to make
gem use of it?

many thanks in advance

roman