PDDP-meta [was: Re: [PD] bowed string?]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 28 01:30:42 CET 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Max Neupert hat gesagt: // Max Neupert wrote:
>>
>>> that does not open a file chooser but a patch wich contains [pd
>>> PDDP_META] here.
>>> osx pd 0.39.2-ext
>>
>> That's a somehow known bug with how pd-extendend and cyclone work
>> together. I don't know if there is a fix for it yet.
>
> Which reminds me: The abstraction you see is the cyclone
> "pddp-meta"-patch. These are always called just like the library,
> which suddenly to me doesn't seem like a good idea, because if you
> import that library it introduces an avoidable nameclash with the
> library itself, if or maybe with other objects.
>
> Assume I made a library to deal with textfile-managing and I wanted to
> call it "textfile". Then the metafile would be "textfile.pd" but it
> would nameclash with the [textfile] builtin.
>
> I believe, the meta-file should have a different name composed of the
> library name and an additional post- or prefix, like
> "cyclone-PDDP.pd", or live in a "meta" subdirectory or something like
> that. Comments?

We've honed the design of the meta stuff a bit in the PDDP, so this
is old.  I am updating the relevant stuff now.

The libdir meta file will be $LIBRARY-meta.pd, i.e. cyclone-meta.pd,
fixing the above issue.  The meta subpatch is standardized on [pd META].

Look for these changes in tomorrow's nightly builds.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler