[PD] [Gem] performance issues on ubuntu (no hardware accel?)

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Mon Nov 27 20:10:39 CET 2006

hello,

in order to know if your driver suport hardware acceleration, you can try :

glxinfo | grep direct

if it says yes : then you have hardware acceleration, so gem should use it.

anyway, ubuntu do not distribute by default binary driver, so the opengl stuff is not very efficient.
i think you should install the binary driver (if compatible with your vision of open source)

once this is made, you should have "good" acceleration, and gem should use it.

well, i hope it help,
cyrille

Roman Haefeli a écrit :
> hi all
>
> i am trying to use gem, since i changed to ubuntu. i used gem before
> successfully on windows on the same computer. but since i started
> compiling gem myself on ubuntu dapper, i am not convinced by its
> performance and i strongly believe that i am doing something wrong, or
> anything on my computer is not optimized etc.
>
> specs:
> Pentium M 1.7GHz
> Ati Radeon Mobility 9600
> Ubuntu Dapper

> Xorg 7.0.0
> xorg-driver-fglrx
> gem from cvs (checked out today)
> the output of './configure':
> http://romanhaefeli.net/gem_configure.txt
>

> why am i  thinking that gem is not working well on my computer?
>
> the screensaver also does opengl stuff, that seems to be quite
> complicated in my eyes and it does eat only a little of the cpu-power,
> when running. also running the same gem-patches on windows seems to be
> not only 2x-3x faster, but maybe 30-50 times. running fgl_glxgears gives
> me values between 440 and 450 frames per second, which makes me assume,
> that hardware accelerated opengl works on my computer.
you should have 10 time more with this card.