[PD] [Gem] performance issues on ubuntu (no hardware accel?)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 28 14:19:52 CET 2006

hi cyrille

thank you very much for your fast reply

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 13:04 +0100, cyrille henry wrote:

> anyway,
> on my computer, when i create a gem window, i'v got this on the pd log :
>

> Direct Rendering enabled!
> GEM: Start rendering

now, we are getting closer to the problem. when i send a message
[create( to [gemwin], i only get:

GEM: Start rendering

there is no 'Direct Rendering enabled!' message in my pd window. thank
you a lot for that hint. now i can be sure, that my gem does *not* use
hardware acceleration.

<to the devs>
i think it would be helpful, if gem would also print a message, when
direct rendering is not used, according to the unix manner, that
something is printed, when it doesn't behave as expected, since - i
assume - most people use gem *with* hardware acceleration.
</to the devs>

> your ./configure output look ok for me.

thank you for checking this.

> can you double check that you have all fglrx-dev package etc..

i only find 'xorg-driver-fglrx-dev' and 'fglrx-kernel-source', which
both are installed.

i once installed 3dp, which also uses dri, if dri is enabled. and with
3dp it seems to work fine. i once posted a patch, that does the same
thing twice: three white cubes that can be rotated with the mouse, once
built in gem, once in 3dp. the 3dp version doesn't cause any cpu peaks,
whereas the gem version does.

(there is a thread on this:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-10/043168.html . when
you want to download the patch, use the one from:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-10/043177.html )

the fact, that the selfcompiled 3dp seems to use dri, makes me think,
that i have all necessary packages installed, but i might be wrong. i
stil wonder, why gem does not use it.

> sorry, can't help more

you helped me already a lot :-) . thank you.

roman