[PD] bowed string?

Stefano Papetti papetti at sci.univr.it
Tue Nov 28 14:27:31 CET 2006

> does anyone know of (or have) a working physical model of a bowed string for
pd?

For musically effective externals/patches you should look at Stefania
Serafin's site: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~serafin/
She's got her PhD in Stanford with J. O. Smith and now works in Denmark
(http://www.imi.aau.dk/~sts/)

We in Verona (http://www.di.univr.it/dol/main?ent=arearic&id=3&lang=en) have
developed some physical models of interaction (impact and friction) between
resonators.
The software package was originally developed within the European research
project Sounding Object www.soundobject.org and consisted of externals and
patches for pd. On the aforementioned site you'll find the old package with
modal resonators only.
At present the package includes 2 kind of resonators: a modal one and a
waveguide one, the latter simulating a simple string. I'm currently rewriting
the externals for flext.
Note that our package is not intended for musical purposes, indeed the control
parameters are not musically functional (e.g. the "bow" has infinite length
and one can only control the force pulling it and that bearing it down on the
string).
Nevertheless, if you're interested, we can give you a copy of the source code
with makefiles for linux, mac os x and windows.

Stefano