[PD] newbie: Feedback and questions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 30 15:33:23 CET 2006

Hallo,
David F. Place hat gesagt: // David F. Place wrote:

> Imagine my delight when I first enrolled in the PD list a few days ago
> to find that you've all resolved to give up grumpiness so as not to put
> off newbies like me!  It gave me courage to put forward my first effort
> for criticism and feedback.

Ah, the effort pays off! ;)

> The patch implements a tone generator for Pythagorean tuning with
> syntonic comma offsets.  I hope it will help my renaissance flute
> consort to learn to play in just intonation in the style of Zarlino.

I'm currently far away from a running Pd, so I will have to take a
look at your patch later, but I just wanted to mention the "tunetof"
abstraction that you can find in the CVS on pure-data.sf.net in
/abstractions/footils/tunetof. It is a kind of "mtof" for just and
other tunings and supports tuning definitions in Scala format. Or
rather, there is a Python script included that can convert Scala
tunings to numerical lists that then can be used inside tunetof's
internal lookup table. Some examples are already included in their
converted format.  (I think Zarlino scales as well). This may be
interesting for you, too, because it fits rather nicely into the
normal way of working with "scales" in Pd, that is, using integer
numbers specifiying the positions of notes in a scale.

Ciao