[PD] (no subject)

raphy.ilias at free.fr raphy.ilias at free.fr
Tue Dec 12 18:11:27 CET 2006

hello !

i present myself : i'm a young art student in Angers (France ; so, forgive my
bad english) and i learned to create patches with puredata in the workshop
organized by goto10 at Poitiers (France) last january.
Since this, i'm designing my own tools for the music i do, and now i'm trying to
do the same for real-time images, using Gem. I'm using a debian with the "jack"
environnement, in fact, something inspîred from the pure:dyne we used in this
workshop (buit i'm thinking about installing it).
But, I've got some problems. I asked my questions on the pure:dyne list and they
drove me here ; they also said my problems might not be linked to pd but to my
OS and my drivers.
these questions are :
-on my laptop, i've got an auxiliary video out (on the side there are a S-Video
plug and a standard computer screen plug), and i would like to know if there's
a way to send the Gemwin content on it (to display on a TV, for example). I
think they're really separated displays since I manage to have an extended
desktop on windows 2000 (glups !) : I can pass a window from the laptop screen
to an external monitor (a TV or a computer screen). I tried to configure Xfree
as I had readen on forums and howtos but I never got anything else that a grey
screen. I heard about Xorg, is it better ?
-with Gem, i'm using 6 layers (with alpha transparency) each one linked to a
gemhead, and the whole rendered in a 320x240 resolution, it works very well.
but when i switch on the fullscreen mode (with the argument « fullscreen1 »),
the rendering is very slow (4 frames per second maximum, i think). is it
normal, how can i remediate to this ?

thanks a lot !

raphaël