[PD] Re: [PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 19 18:46:25 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
>> Seriously, it's not really a problem to have any amount of latency
>> (even one million year) when there is a single musician.
>
> If the musician can concentrate on the fingers rather than what is
> heard, fine (but that needs to be a good player).

The musician don't have to concentrate on what is heard at all, at the
moment he is able to hear what he is playing, but the problem he could
meet would be about having a mix of his sound and the delayed sound.
> However I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a player trying
> to fit in a group, hopefully with one central sound output or at least
> sound outputs that are close to each other. The player has to keep
> always the same advance; he/she heard the previous notes from other
> player and needs to play something that will fit with what will be
> heard from those people at the time in the future when it'll be played.

That is exactely what I am saying and what involves composition or style
problems.
The composer could compute himself the latency between each musician and
beetween instruments groups, or between an orchestra and the director,
or between the whole thing and the public, even between different
listening points in the public.
Patco.