[PD] SB Live alsa multichannel configuration

A. Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Sat Jan 6 16:21:36 CET 2007

A. Loonstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting to this list hoping to get some directions. I'm trying to
> setup a Linux system (Ubuntu/Debian) with PD and a SB Live 5.1 PCI card
> using 4 channel output. Is this even possible?
>
> I'm hoping to use 4 audio channels with PD and the SB Live. I've been
> looking how to accomplish this. I'm now looking into the .asoundrc
> config files. I've tried different setups but I haven't been able to get
> PD to use 4 channels of the card, only 2 channels. This is what I have
> done so far:
[snip]

Ok, doing some extensive reading I've gotten it to work the way I wanted
it. Though it was extremely hard to find the correct documents at the
end it was very easy to setup. So this is for the archives:

I'm using a SB Live PCI card on a Linux system:

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [CT4780]
                      SBLive! Value [CT4780] (rev.7, serial:0x80221102)
at 0xece0, irq 177

Out of the box I couldn't get it to use four channel output so I made a
.asoundrc file:

pcm.SBlive4ch {
     type route;
     slave.pcm surround40;
     slave.channels 4;
     ttable.0.0 1;
     ttable.1.1 1;
     ttable.2.2 1;
     ttable.3.3 1;
}

Then I start pd:
pd -alsa -alsaadd SBlive4ch -audiooutdev 3 -noadc -outchannels 4

I then get a correct working setup.

I also noticed I could just use "-alsaadd surround40" but I got some
errors about the DAC being locked. I haven't had that yet with my own
defined .asoundrc.

Rg,

Arnaud.