[PD] proof-of-concept [hsext] for writing pd externals in Haskell

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 7 07:55:33 CET 2007

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 17:25 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> The loader is the final piece in the puzzle that was preventing
>>> people from writing native objects in other languages.
> The lack of class-specific help patches and properties panels for each class
> is what I am talking about.  AFAIK, you can't do that with [py].

for a class to be recognised as a pd class (so that looking for helpfiles
works), it needs to be created using class_new(). I don't know why [py]
doesn't use it once per python class that it exports to pd, but it's
always been possible to do that, which means since 1996. I've been doing
it since 2002, including calling it from outside of the _setup() function.

About properties panels... this has never been in Pd's public API, which
is m_pd.h and nothing else.

In both cases, it's hard to consider those features as being implied by
the phrase "native object".